Recording a Quitclaim Deed in Sumner County, Tennessee
The following guidelines apply to a quitclaim deed in Sumner County, Tennessee:
1. The quitclaim deed should be printed on 8.5x11 inch white paper or 8.5x14 inch white paper.
2. The first page should have enough space to accommodate the recording information. A 3 inch margin on the top and on the bottom of the first page should be sufficient. Other pages should have 1 inch margins.
3. In order to be legible, the quitclaim deed form should be printed in black ink, with a minimum font size of 10 point.
4. Include the name and address of the person or firm who prepared the quitclaim deed. This should be on the first page. The return to address must be on the document and should match any enclosed pre-addressed envelopes.
5. All signatures of proper parties are required and all signatures must be notarized. The notary acknowledgment must include the names of all parties who signed the document, the signature of the notary, the notary seal—if required by state, corporate or individual acknowledgment, date of acknowledgment, and a notary expiration date—if required by state. If a notary acknowledgment is missing, two witnesses are required.
6. The name and address of the grantee must be on any quitclaim deed evidencing a conveyance of real property.
7. Include the name and address of the person or firm who should receive tax bills.
8. The map and parcel number related to the property should be on all conveyance documents. This can be found at the State of Tennessee property data website. In addition to the map and parcel number, include a legal description of the property. At the end of the legal description, provide the name, license number, and address of the surveyor who prepared the boundary survey from which the description was prepared. If no boundary survey was made at the time of conveyance and the legal description is different from the previous deed of record, the source of the new description shall be stated. If the legal description is the same as the previous deed of record, it should also be stated.
9. The source of title is required on a quitclaim deed. This can be referred to by the book and page and type of document by which the property was conveyed.
10. On assignments, releases, and amended or modified instruments, give the book and page of the source document.
11. All re-filed quitclaim deeds should state the reason for refilling on the front of the document.
12. An oath of consideration should be included:
State of _____
County of _________
I/we hereby swear or affirm that the actual consideration for this transfer or the value of the property transferred, whichever is greater, is $______________ which amount is equal to or greater than that which the property would command at a fair and voluntary sale.
Subscribed and sworn to before me this _______ day of _________, 20__.
My commission expires: _________
13. Signatures must be identical to the names in the conveyance clause and the acknowledgment. All signatures must have a corresponding name printed beneath them.
14. When sending in documents to be mailed, indicate the order in which they should be recorded.
For a quitclaim deed: "I hereby quitclaim to A. B. all my interest in the following land" (describing it).”
RECORDING COSTS FOR QUIT CLAIM DOCUMENTS IN SUMNER COUNTY TENNESSEE
For each quitclaim deed (not to exceed 8.5x14 inches), the fee is $10 for the first two pages. Each additional page is $5.
NOTE* If you
have a question about this
information start a new
topic in your