Quitclaim Deed Recording Information for Marathon County, Wisconsin
A quitclaim deed shall pass all of the interest in or appurtenant to the land described which the grantor could lawfully convey, but shall not warrant or imply the existence, quantity or quality of any such interest.
The following rules and standards apply to quitclaim deeds in Marathon County, Wisconsin:
1. Quitclaim deeds should be presented for recording on white, standard weight paper, letter or legal sized.
2. Black ink should be used, with a font size of 12 point.
3. The upper right hand corner on the first page must be completely blank (at least a 3x3 area) for the recording stamp.
4. The name and return address must be either directly below the 3x3 recording area or on the left side of the page within the top 3 inches.
5. Marathon County does not require a parcel identification number.
6. The title of the document must be within the top 3 inches of the page, but not in the 3x3 corner. “Quitclaim Deed” would be an appropriate title for a document.
7. The top margin is a minimum of ½ an inch for every page (excepting the first). Other margins are a minimum of ¼ of an inch.
8. The pages should not be hinged.
9. Original signatures notarized or authenticated.
10. The name of the drafter of the quitclaim deed is required.
11. The Wisconsin Real Estate Transfer Return (completed and with proper fee or exemption number) is needed for deeds and land contracts.
12. Quitclaim deeds need to identify the interest conveyed and any material term, condition, reservation, exception, or contingency upon which the interest is to arise, continue, or be extinguished, limited, or encumbered.
13. The quitclaim deed should be signed, or joined in by separate conveyance, by or on behalf of each spouse, if the conveyance alienates any interest of a married person in a homestead except conveyances between spouses.
14. A complete legal description is needed if the deed refers to specific parcels of land.
• A complete legal description should include the subdivision name or Certified Survey Map number and lots and/or blocks if the property is platted.
• Metes and bounds tied into the Public Land Surveys System can be used if the property is unplatted.
• The Public Land Survey information can be used, which includes the Quarter Section or Quarter/Quarter Section, a section number, town number, or range number.
Quitclaim Deed Recording Costs
To record a quitclaim deed, the fee is $30.
The maximum size paper accepted is 8.5x14 inches.
The current transfer fee is $ .30 per $100.
The Valuation must be shown when the document is exempt. Both the grantor and grantee must sign the Transfer form.
NOTE* If you
have a question about this
information start a new
topic in your